How to Install Wallpaper Over Paneling
Wallpaper can be easily installed over wood paneling. Read our instructions to ensure successful installation of your wallpaper.
Install Wallpaper Over Paneling
- If the grooves in paneling are 1/4 inch deep or more, fill them in with caulk.
- Wipe away the overflow of caulk by running a putty knife along the groove.
- Once caulk is dry, prime the paneling with a stain-blocking latex primer. Let primer dry completely.
- Coat walls with an acrylic-emulsion sizing or one recommended by the liner manufacturer.
- Hang a heavy-duty wallpaper liner horizontally.
- Hang wallpaper vertically over the liner according to the manufacture's instructions or our "How To" Section.
- If using paintable wallpaper, wait until the paper is completely dry before painting. We recommend painting over paintable wallpaper with 2 coats of latex paint.